Join me in this brand new way of interdisciplinary learning and benefit simultaneously in your school studies in Maths, Computer Science, Physics, Economics and Biology subjects. One stone, multiple birds!
The course provides upper school students (UK KS4 & 5, Y10-13) with a new, computational perspective with which they understand and approach problems in mathematics and scientific subjects such as physics, chemistry and biology.
Through the learning of a modern programming language, Python, the students are expected to get their hands dirty on problems that they are familiar with in other subjects. Starting with a Python basic skills module, we move on to a set of guided, mini projects across various academic subjects, during which the pupils are expected to be equipped with not only the practical knowledge of how Python can help with the other quantitative subjects at school, but also the crucial understanding of how to apply their computational thinking and mathematical modelling skills to solve real-world problems in their later studies and careers.
Term 1 – Python, Maths & Physics
- Working with Numbers
- Working with Coordinates
- Building Virtual Reality I
- Building Virtual Reality II
Term 2 – Python, Maths & Economics
- Working with Data Sets, Statistics
- Solving a Real-World Financial Problem I
- Working with Random and Volatile Data
- Solving a Real-world Financial Problem II
Term 3 – Python, AI & Biology
- Working with Sequences
- Working with Algorithms
- Looking for a Curing Protein, Part I
- Looking for a Curing Protein, Part II
Each term consists of 10 online live tutorial sessions with interactive coding in real time. Students can log in and revisit the code and course materials at any time.
- This course is taught through the use of live, online classrooms with screen-sharing, interactive whiteboard and video/audio links. Dial-in numbers are also provided in case there is not sufficient bandwidth for video streaming.
- The course materials (text/exercises) are fully interactive through the use of our flagship edbr.org platform, which seamlessly integrates the learning and coding environments, together with grading and coursework management.
- All teaching content and materials are original work of the teacher, painstakingly crafted to match the student age group and learning ability. We stress the importance to achieve greater learning efficiency, enabling pupils to develop more computational thinking skills not through working harder but SMARTER.
- We do not rely on after-class homework to achieve results so there is no more commitment required for the course other than the time spent in the teaching sessions. Voluntary after-course efforts will, of course, be applauded for.
Each successful participant of the 1-year course, upon successful completion of all 6 projects, will receive a Senior/Advanced Certificate for Computational STEM Learners (SCCSL/ACCSL) depending on his/her curriculum stage (GCSE/A-levels). We are actively promoting this certificate as a recognisable demonstration of well-rounded numerical and coding skills amongst KS4/KS5 learners.
This course is taught by Dr Xiaofan Li, Founder and CEO of EdBridge. You can find more about Dr Li from here.